Most people are familiar with Saffiano leather which has become very popular in recent years. Even though the leather was used exclusively by Prada for decades, it found its way into the bag, wallet, and belt collections of many labels like Michael Kors, Tory Burch, Coach, and Longchamp to name just a few.
What is so special about the Saffiano Leather?
Saffiano Print Leather has a distinct cross-hatch texture on its surface which is achieved by a heat pressing process. The leather has gained such tremendous popularity because it combines exceptional durability and stain resistance with elegance and class.
How durable is the Saffiano leather?
The textured pattern itself resists scratching, while also making any minor scratches less noticeable.
The heavy pigmentation and protective wax coating applied to its surface also makes the leather resistant to stains, scratches and water. Which means that it needs to be cleaned less often.
Apart from the enhanced durability, the coating gives the leather its unmistakable subtle sheen and allows for the creation of a great variety of colours.
The only thing which could really harm these textured leathers are very sharp items which can cut through the wax finish.
Is it made of natural leather?
Yes, it’s made of natural leather. Although some Saffiano leathers are made of synthetic materials, in our case, it’s made of all-natural corrected-grain cowhide leather.
Why does Saffiano leather not feel like leather?
Pigmented Leather has a thicker surface coating to enhance durability. For that reason, you might not be able to see the natural markings you can see in other “less-altered” leather in our Classic Leather and Crazy Horse range.
This heavy pigment and coating layer, together with the cross-hatch texture applied to the surface makes the leather feel a little bit stiffer and rugged on your hand.
How to clean & care for Saffiano Leather?
The wax protective coating also makes Saffiano leather easy to clean. Some leathers require proper preparation, cleaning, and conditioning. Saffiano leather can usually be cleaned with a damp cloth. For more thorough information on cleaning, please see below:
- Dust on a weekly basis with a soft cloth or vacuum with a soft brush.
- If you spill something on your furniture use a dry cloth to immediately dab of any excess. Do not rub.
- Gently warming and rubbing with a soft cloth to redistribute the oils in the leather can remove some superficial scratches.
- Do not use normal household cleaning products.
- If you use a recommended cleaning or re oiling product to offer more protection but this may alter the colour of the leather. When applying recommended products always pay attention to the instructions and test on an inconspicuous area first.